We live in zone 6a and I have been gardening and cooking for years. This blog is an opportunity for me to share with you my success and those failures that come about on occasion. Plus, I want to hear from all the gardeners and bakers and cooks out there and learn from you. Feel free to share your ideas.







Thursday, January 1, 2015

Garden 2015

I have been pondering what to plant this year. Well I am going to plant something that I have not planted in years. Corn. Sweet corn will be dedicated to one 4x 8 raised bed. I have only 4 raised beds and multiple large planters, and I have to plant wisely.

Tomatoes are always a given. There is nothing like a home grown tomato or corn. Basil is always planted because I like to make pesto and freeze it for use later. It would cost a fortune to buy all the basil that I need for pesto. So cost  is a factor too. Eggplant grows well and if roasted it freezes well.
Add in beans and lettuce and that may be it.
So it will be tomatoes, corn, basil, eggplant, lettuce, beans and I am sure I will add something else into the mix.

I always plant zinnias. I would love to plant squash, but I need advice on how to prevent wilt.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great plan...grow what you eat and what works. As far as squash goes, I just buy was fast maturity type and be grateful for anything I can get. It's either the heat or the SBugs {{shrug}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be growing corn next year as well. I grew some many years ago in my first garden but it's been so long that I'm basically starting from scratch. Can't wait for that first succulent ear!

    ReplyDelete