We live in zone 6a and I have been gardening and cooking for years. This blog is an opportunity for me to share with you my success and those failures that come about on occasion. Plus, I want to hear from all the gardeners and bakers and cooks out there and learn from you. Feel free to share your ideas.







Sunday, May 20, 2012

Easy Flower Boxes




I have been asked to list what is in my flower boxes. First of all I use soiless mix, osmocote and soil moist so I do not have to water it often. Because of the soil moist, I typically water my flower boxes once a week. The boxes are on the north side of the house. As far as the actual plants, I have planted the following:
various colors of impatients, bacopa, variegated licorice, and tri-color sweet potato vine. The impatients are primarily in the back of the box, with all of the other plants in the front so that they can cascade over.

I have had the actual boxes for about 20 years and they are made of fiberglass. My H gave them to me for my birthday and these boxes  have been trouble free. Plus they can be painted any color one desires.


2 comments:

  1. Soil moist may be my salvation. I gave up on flowerboxes years ago, though I love them, because the poor plants suffered and practically died from neglect. I remember to check to see if they needed their daily (or sometimes twice daily) watering. There's nothing like beautiful flowers spilling out of a windowbox that says "Welcome home" quite as beautifully. It's also a great way to get a great punch of color on a small budget. I may have to dig my windowboxes out of the shed and give them another try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soil moist should do the trick. Even my potted flowers that are on the patio ( south facing) are watered just 2x a week.

    ReplyDelete