We live in zone 6a and I have been gardening and cooking for years. This blog is an opportunity for me to share with you my success and those failures that come about on occasion. Plus, I want to hear from all the gardeners and bakers and cooks out there and learn from you. Feel free to share your ideas.







Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Coloring Easter Eggs Naturally


If you have never tried coloring Easter eggs naturally, here is the recipe.

Ingredients
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
  • Your choice of coloring ingredients (below)
  • Hard boiled eggs
Coloring ingredients
Yellow
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
Blue/Purple
2 cups blueberries, crushed
Pink/Red
2 cups roughly chopped raw beets

Put water and your choice of coloring ingredient into a small pot and bring to 
a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain through a fine  sieve, get rid of  solids, then stir in vinegar. Set aside to let cool until warm or room temperature. To color eggs, dip completely  in dye, turning often, until desired color. It may take awhile to reach the desired color.

Also consider using onion skins to create yellow eggs, red cabbage for a lovely blue egg, pureed spinach leaves for green, and even grape juice for purple.

For those of you who have tried this, what other fruits, vegetables or spices have you used?


3 comments:

  1. Great post! I have some red onions that would make a nice dye. I always think about it when I am peeling them and my fingers are all red.

    I haven't colored Easter Eggs in years and have never dyed them naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa. Your duck cookies look so yummy. Thanks for dropping by my blog. You have a Blessed Easter weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lona--you have a great blog. Thanks for visiting here too!
      Lisa

      Delete