We live in zone 6a and I have been gardening and cooking for years. This blog is an opportunity for me to share with you my success and those failures that come about on occasion. Plus, I want to hear from all the gardeners and bakers and cooks out there and learn from you. Feel free to share your ideas.







Saturday, March 3, 2012

Green Butterhead Lettuce and Rapini Seeds Started


Just started the following seeds indoors for transplant: Green Butterhead Lettuce –Nancy and Rapini. Occasionally I will be asked what the heck is Rapini? Sometimes it is called Broccoli Raab. It is a tender green that can be sauteed with olive oil and garlic and mixed in with sausage and  pasta, such as an Orechetti type, and seasoned with red pepper flakes. More often than not you will find recipes for it in Italian cookbooks.

My onions that I started a few weeks ago are doing great indoors. I am biting at the bit to start planting outdoors, but it is about 12 days too early for that.

2 comments:

  1. I'm trying rapini for the first time this year since I don't have much luck with regular broccoli. Thanks for the explaination. I've heard of broc raab before and wasn't sure what the difference was. I'm really looking forward to it and hope it doee well. I LOVE me some broccoli!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had more questions about Broccoli Raab or Rapini and it is best to start the seeds indoors and transplant seedlings outdoors. Planting seeds directly in the bed generally is not successful for many gradners.

    ReplyDelete